Monday, December 31, 2007

1967 ICE BOWL


Today marks the fortieth anniversary of the legendary "Ice Bowl", the NFL Championship game played at Lambeau Field between the Green Bay Packers and the Dallas Cowboys. A one-yard quarterback sneak by Bart Starr won what is considered to be the greatest game in pro football history.
The Ice Bowl got its name due to the fact that the game temperature was MINUS 13 degrees. That's pretty damn cold. One spectator, an elderly man, DIED due to exposure during the game. Many spectators passed out once they started warming up after the game. Apparently the quantities of alcohol consumed finally registered.
I was only ten at the time. Being a girl, football to me was pretty much what made the adults scream like maniacs in front of the tee-vee on Sunday afternoons. (Although I was a member of "The Donny Anderson Fan Club".) But I DO remember this day was incredibly cold. My parents and their friends were planning on attending a New Year's Eve party at church, and there was much concern about the cars not starting after the party was over.


Fast-forward forty years to 2007. I will be having a much warmer New Year's Eve. We batten the hatches and stay home on what I like to call "Amateur Night". I'll make us some steak and crab legs for dinner, Dale will make a cozy fire. Moet for me and Martinelli's for Dale. One thing we like to do is build a fire in the backyard firepit and burn old financial records....shredding is so tedious. This way..POOF..and its done. Of course we will be listening to the 'ol police scanner. This night always brings out the best in people for some reason.

I wish everyone a safe and sane New Year's Eve and please don't drink and drive.
Best wishes for a healthy and prosperous 2008.