Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009


The new year started on an unexpected, awesome note--Stephanie Edwards was back co-hosting the KTLA presentation of the Tournament of Roses! After being unceremoniously dumped from the broadcasting booth in 2006 she was back with co-host "That would be in the butt" Bob Eubanks. What made their previous broadcasts so special was the sort of testy banter they had--it was always good for a laugh and raised eyebrow--"did she/he really say THAT?!?!" They were pretty civil to each other today and only once did I hear a reference to 2006, when she had to sit out in the pouring rain.
I woke up about a minute before the show started, quickly made some hot chocolate and settled in to watch the parade. Another bright blue California day to get all the Midwest viewers in a lather. (We were fogged in here closer to the beach until 10am or so.)
My highlights:
the RFD-TV's float was a salute to "Hee-Haw".  Yes!
Greg Louganis!
the Torrance float was awesome and won a prize
B2 bomber fly-over (no matter what you think about war stuff, you have to admit this is
    a pretty spectacular sight to see)
The Prairie View, TX marching band, which appeared to be mostly Black kids, had a
         dance troupe named "The Black Foxes". Wow.
Missing this year were the stealth anti-Bush signs that I saw last year in the shrubbery near the Norton Simon. I guess why bother anymore, huh?
Hopefully Saturday we can take a ride out to Pasadena and check out the floats. I've never done that before, but I think it would be awesome to see them up close.

Last night was pretty quiet. We had a roaring fire and sat around watching Twilight Zone and listening to the scanner. Got stuffed on all our snacky things. The neighborhood was really quiet this year. I heard one little crackle of firecrackers at midnight and that was it. 


3 comments:

Miss Healthypants said...

Yay, Hee Haw RFD Float! *smiles* Do you ever watch old episodes of Hee Haw on that channel? Iwanski and I have re-discovered it as an actually amusing show--Archie Campbell is my favorite. :)

MaryRuth said...

We just started watching! It is a time capsule for sure. Everyone looks so young! Did you know it was originally billed as a country version of "Laugh In"?
It was on Saturday nights and I would watch with my parents for a bit before going out with my friends. For a while one of Hef's GFs was on. I like Grampa and I also wonder if Junior is that slow IRL or if it is just an act.

Miss Healthypants said...

Yeah, Grampa Jones is awesome, too. *smiles* I also wonder about Junior. He is funny as hell, though! :)

I really hated Hee Haw when I was a kid--but now I "get" the humor, I guess. :)