Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Paddy's



In honor of Dale's potato-eating ancestors I made us some corned beef and cabbage last night. I only make this once a year. I don't know why, since we both enjoy it and it is really simple to make. When I was a kid, my mom made something similar--Boiled Dinner. I know, that doesn't sound too appetizing but that pretty much tells the story though. The difference was instead of corned beef she would use a smoked butt--another not too appetizing term. Actually, it is not a butt at all, it is a pork shoulder, I think. The butt refers to the shape. I haven't seen smoked butts in California, or else I would make Boiled Dinner once in a while too.
For dessert, I had Haagen-Dasz Bailey's ice cream. Not too bad.

Here's the before picture:


We listen to BBC online radio often. The music programs, of course, are legendary, but the cultural shows are pretty good as well. "This Scepter'd Isle" is a great way to learn history as you snuggle up next to the fire with a cup of tea, Here is one of our other favorites: "A Kist O Wurds". This is a variety radio show in the Ulster Scots dialect. Sometimes its a little hard to understand, but I think it makes a fine accompaniment to a Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner.

1 comment:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

That looks pretty good. Seeing all the corned beef and cabbage on food blogs has actually made me crave. Crazy. I gotta stop reading food blogs. So bad for my waistline.