Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A Bubbler in Literature!


Since this weekend was kinda crappy weather-wise I was able to make a (small) dent in my pile of NewYorkers. It is a weekly magazine, so if I'm not really on top of things, they sometimes stack up.
I was reading a short story by one of my long-time favorite authors John Updike and almost fell out of my chair when he wrote about a BUBBLER! This story, as do most of Updike's, takes place back East; in this instance, Connecticut. Which as you recall does use the term bubbler.
Here is the passage:
"The automobile garage a block away from my grandparents’ back yard had the coldest water in town, at a bubbler just inside the overhead sliding doors. It made your front teeth ache, it was so cold."

In case you'd like to read the whole story, you can read it here. It was a weird little story, and of course contained an instance of adultery. If you read it, let me know what you thought. It just left me scratching my head.

No comments: