Monday, May 5, 2008

Lunchtime!


Here's one of the "after" photos of my Farmers' Market score. Like I had said, this month's MSL had some great salad recipes.
This one features fava beans and roasted garlic. Besides the beans, it is loaded with many of my favorite salad-y items: feta, corn, red onions. I was a little skeptical of the walnuts...like, why bother when there are so many other ingredients? But I have to say, they added an unexpected level of flavor..and crunch too. Since I was assembling this at work, I kept all ingredients in separate baggies until I was ready to eat. Insead of mixng the nuts in with the dressing, as the recipe has you do, I added them when I tossed the rest of the items together.
This was my first time with fava beans. I always hear such rave reviews on them. Sure they ARE good, but man, what a pain in the butt. First you gotta shell them. They aren't like peas, which go pretty fast. THEN you have to blanch them and THEN you have to get the outer shell thing off the actual bean part. I really liked this salad and next time I will try it with edammame.
How do you like the sexy lighting? Since we work on computers all day, we don't have overhead lighting at work, just small desk lamps. I like the warm color it gives the photo. Maybe I'll pick one up for the house.

No comments: