Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Healthy and Yummy Too

In the spirit of trying to make healthier meals, I came up with this mixed plate the other day. I scored some health points on the veggies, but I did use butter on the carrots and squash. 

Sauteed kale and garlic--sweat some sliced garlic in olive oil, throw in some chopped kale, a teeny bit of water and cover the pan.  Let it wilt for 6-7 minutes or so.

Orange Carrots--blanch carrots until almost done and drain. Return the carrots to the pan, add a bit of butter, some orange zest, a sprinkle of brown sugar, salt and pepper.  Saute until the carrots are cooked through.

Baked Acorn Squash--Bake squash halves cut side down at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or so. Turn them over, sprinkle with brown sugar, salt, pepper and dot with butter. Put them back in the oven for another 15 minutes, until the sugar is melted and caramelizing.

I had some of the gruyere pinwheels left, so I baked them up too.

1 comment:

Miss Healthypants said...

That sounds so good! Really! I love it when vegetables can be made to taste yummy. :)