Monday, January 14, 2008

Green Chicken Chilaquiles



Tonight's dinner was one of the specialties of Fartwood Manor...or should I say "Casa de Fartwood"? (I don't know the word for *ahem* fart in Spanish, sorry)
This recipe comes from "Mesa Mexicana", a cookbook by two of my favorite chefs: Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger. I have always loved their restaurants and food..way back when they had a little place on Melrose and after that at City, and now Border Grill and Cuidad. Most of all I like their pioneer spirit of being women chefs. Sure they weren't the first, but to me they had that sort of "grrrl power" thing going on back in the day. They were one of the inspirations to me to try my hand at the professional cooking thing.
Chilaquiles are a casserole-y type dish and a good way to use up leftover tortillas and meat. It is pretty much like lasagne, with tortillas instead of pasta. The tortillas sort of disintegrate into the sauce and form almost a pudding. There are probably as many recipes for this as there are cooks. The one I make is green, but red salsa is also used. Here's one of Mary Sue and Susan's recipes for a red one.
Because I don't like to eat dinner really late, I got my prep going yesterday. I made the Tomatillo Salsa and cooked and shredded the chicken. I even made stock out of my chicken poaching liquid. Today, all that was left was grate the cheese and assemble the dish.
This is really great salsa to use for dipping too.


Salsa ingredients: tomatillos, jalapenos, cilantro and onion.

This is a pretty spicy dish--I use 3 chiles--it clears the sinuses! Bueno!

No comments: