Sunday, June 8, 2008

MMMM Espresso Soda


I was out and about Saturday doing some errands and stopped in at Giuliano's to get a couple of sandwiches for lunch. Besides great sandwiches, Giuliano's has an interesting selection of soft drinks. Good flavors like wild cherry, grape and orange from some boutique-y companies. Import sodas from Italy. There was even a "Soprano's" soda.
This was my choice: espresso soda. (Dale requested what else...ginger beer.) I have had this brand before, but never had seen it in such a large bottle. It is good, but not as good as my all-time favorite, Bibicaffe.

I was first introduced to Bibicaffe when I was a line cook at the Grand Wailea on Maui. The sous chef would bring in a case for us about once a week. Pretty much the first thing I would do when I came in for my shift was fill my monster thirsty-two-ouncer mug with ice and pour in two bottles of Bibicaffe. MMMmmmm...that gets the gears moving. I could power through my prep and be psyched for service.
The flavor is of course, of espresso, but with a light lemony taste, slightly sweet and slightly carbonated.
I've always been on the lookout for Bibicaffe, but I have only seen it once....in Seattle. (where else, huh?) I'm not that crazy to have it mail-ordered, so this Manhattan Special will be a good substitute.

4 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Coffee soda with a lemony taste? Huh! Now I'm really curious.

MaryRuth said...

The lemon flavor is very faint. Isn't it traditional to serve a lemon twist with a cup of espresso?
If you ever see Bibicaffe, check it out!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

I'm not an espresso drinker, but whenever I'm with someone who ordered it, I've never seen a lemon twist.

Hong Kongers like adding lemon to Coke, hot and cold. I think that's really where Coke got their idea.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it