Friday, April 25, 2008

Guilty Pleasure


So yeah, I have a few guilty pleasures. One of those is "Ugly Betty", which airs on ABC on Thursday nights.
Actually I don't think it is so much of a guilty pleasure, in that I'm not embarrassed that I watch it. It is more like a "If you knew me, you would be very surprised that I like this show".
First, I'm not much of a tee-vee watcher. Sunday night Fox "Animation Domination" (except "American Dad"..which sucks IMHO), Big Joe and the Packer game is about it for me anymore. The only other show I watch regularly is "Rescue Me". I've lost all interest in the Food Network and HGTV. So, for me to be interested in watching something regularly is pretty out of the ordinary.
The other thing that is sort of incongruous is that I'm about the least fashionable and fashion-oriented person around--and the setting of the show is in the fashion world of New York City.
So why do I watch? The first few times I watched (I started in season2) I was drawn in by the over-the-top plot lines and situations. It really IS a soap opera, but way funny. Back-stabbers, murderous plotting, and petty jealousies abound. But what I liked most of all was the unbelievable optimism and sunny personality of Betty. No matter what crap happens to her, Betty always finds the silver lining. The same reason why I dig SpongeBob too.
Last night was the first show of the new season. I think they had two shows in the can already when the writer's strike shortened last season. So it's been a LONG wait. But well worth it.
One thing that helps me ascertain the cool factor of the show is the fact that none other than Brave Combo has had a song featured in an episode. (Feliz Navidad episode of last season)
Do yourself a favor and check it out.

No comments: