Wednesday, August 6, 2008

New Recipes


I've been in the cooking mode for the last few weeks and have discovered some tasty recipes.
One of my favorite bloggers, Wandering Chopsticks has a treasure trove of wonderful recipes on her blog. She covers all sorts of cuisines, but Vietnamese is represented the most. Recently she had a post about Mi Xao Don Chay--Vietnamese Vegetarian Crispy Chow Mein. It is super-easy and tastes great. I especially liked the crunchy noodles with the tender veggies. I didn't use the chayote, but I think this is the type of recipe where you could sub in your favorite veggies.

I guess I was still in the Vietnamese cuisine mode when I spotted this recipe Vietnamese Chicken Salad. This was perfect on a warm summer night. I love the spicy dressing and mint. I used the purple basil, but I'm sure the green one is just as good.

4 comments:

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Great job MaryRuth! It looks eerily similar to mine. And hey! How come you didn't use my Vietnamese chicken salad recipe? :(

MaryRuth said...

WC--thanks for a great recipe. I made the veggie part again last night by itself. About the salad....I had been paging thru Gourmet and saw this one. After I was all done, I checked to see if you had one too, and sure enough, you did. They are similar and different at the same time. I really liked the blanched cabbage in this one, and I think the onions in your dish would be a plus. And I want to try your spice mixture. My BF had to leave the house (seriously) after I heated up the fish sauce and sugar! He's soooo sensitive. I told him it is the same as when I make the steak salad, just not heated.

Miss Healthypants said...

Wow, you are quite the cook! :)

I am not so much a good cook as a good purchaser of fast food. *smiles*

But I love Asian food, and this stuff looks yummy! :)

MaryRuth said...

Thanks MHP...I enjoy being in the kitchen. You can just try one thing a week. Plus it saves $$